Quotes and Trivia
Some interesting quotes and trivia.
It's true that practically all of the "Big Lebowski" quotes are memorable, so it's really difficult to choose only a few. Still, here are those that are most often quoted and loved by fans:
- That rug really tied the room together.
- Obviously you're not a golfer.
- Let me explain something to you. I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
- I do mind, the Dude minds. This will not stand, ya know, this aggression will not stand, man.
- Fuckin' Quintana... that creep can roll, man.
- Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
- That's a great plan, Walter. That's fuckin' ingenious, if I understand it correctly. It's a Swiss fuckin' watch.
- Walter, you fucked it up! Her life was in our hands, man!
- Fuckin' A, man. I got a rash.
- Hey Careful Man, There's a Beverage Here!
- Look, man, I've got certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light. And, you know, has it ever occurred to you, that, instead of, uh, you know, running around, uh, uh, blaming me, you know, given the nature of all this new shit, you know, I-I-I-I... this could be a-a-a-a lot more, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, complex, I mean, it's not just, it might not be just such a simple... uh, you know?
- I've got information man! New shit has come to light! And shit... man, she kidnapped herself.
- Beaver? You mean vagina...? I mean, you know the guy?
- Hey, this is a private residence, man!
- Nice marmot.
- Mr. Treehorn treats objects like women, man.
- I've had a rough night, and I hate the fucking Eagles, man.
- Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback.
- Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber.
- She's not my special lady, she's my fucking lady friend. I'm just helping her conceive, man!
- Fuck sympathy! I don't need your fuckin' sympathy, man, I need my fucking johnson!
- God damn you Walter! You fuckin' asshole! Everything's a fuckin' travesty with you, man! And what was all that shit about Vietnam?
- The Dude abides.
- The Dude appears almost in every scene, except for prologue and the scene with nihilists in the restaurant. Arguably, brief flashbacks can be considered scenes in which Dude doesn't appear. Same goes for the road scene in which Bunny rides her car- though Dude is on the same road (the cab driver kicked him out), the segment with Bunny is given from her POV and he doesn't know she's out there.
- He often refers to himself in the third person. "The Dude minds", "They gave Dude a beeper", "The Dude abides".
- A lot of the Dude's clothes in the movie were Jeff Bridges's own clothes, including, but not limited to, Japanese baseball shirt.
- Jeff Bridges picked "The Dude" sweater in the prop room himself, because "it looked like something the character would wear". Bridges wears the sweater from time to time in public.
- The Dude was based on independent film promoter Jeff "The Dude" Dowd (member of the Seattle Seven), who helped the Coen brothers secure distribution for their first feature, Blood Simple.
- The Dude has a habit of repeating phrases he hears. The George Bush speech "This aggression will not stand" is repeated by the Dude. Maude Lebowski uses the phrase "Parlance of our times" Dude repeats this one in the limo. The Big Lebowski says he "Will not abide another toe!" at the end of the movie "The Dude abides".
- The Dude drinks nine White Russians during the course of the movie, and four J's (four that we actually SEE; it's highly probable he had more off screen).
- Before Maude steals the rug, Dude is listening Venice Beach League Playoffs 1987. Side B of the tape is labeled "Bob" (Dylan).
- In the Dude's first dream sequence, the person who throws the giant bowling ball, seen out of focus and upside down as the ball rolls down the lane, is Maude.
- The name on the Dude's last shirt is "Art".
- In an early draft of the script, The Dude's source of income was revealed. He was an heir to the inventor of the Rubik's cube.